- Co-author of book: "Making Sense
of NoSQL" published by Manning Publications.
- Principal Consultant for MarkLogic (2.5 years)
- Expert on Operational Data Hub architeture and design.
- Designed and built Customer-360 Data Hubs with over three
billion documents for a major healthcare company.
- Designed and built metadata registries and reference data management
systems for a large healthcare organization.
- Co-founder of NoSQL Now! Conference,
an international conference on NoSQL in it's third year. This conference
hosts over 500 of the top people in the NoSQL industry.
- Presented Introduction to NoSQL tutorials at various conferences in
Minnesota and in the US.
- Created XSLT transforms that have transformed over 4 billion
- Taught classes in XQuery and data standards to
organizations around the US.
- Designed and created NoSQL metadata registries for organizations such as Thrivent Financial, the Minnesota Department of Revenue,
and the Minnesota Departement of Education. Managed
business terms, synonym sets, data elements, code-tables, taxonomies,
product hierarchies, wantlists, schemas, services, business rules,
requirements, portlets and tasks. Created architecture for the creation
of business intelligence dashboards, reports and operational
scorecards. See Case Studies
- Used MULE open source Enterprise Service Bus ESB to exchange over
2 million XML taxation documents with 87 counties.
- Designed and implemented Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) for
DOR Property Taxation division using REST and eXist native XML web
- Taught classes on XML Schema, XForms,
XSLT and XQuery for the Minnesota Department of
- Created OLAP cubes of property tax data using Microsoft SQL
- Integrated XForms applications with eXist open
source database, Microsoft SQL Server 2005 XML and DB2 version 9.1
- Intimately familiar with internal metadata registry data structures as
outlined in ISO/IEC metadata registry standard 11179 including
data element concepts, classification schemes and representation
- Served as domain expert for ISO/IEC 11179 L8 metadata registry
- Created and delivered instructions on large complex metadata registries
including Global Justice XML Data Model (GJXDM) and National
Information Exchange Model (NIEM).
- Published metadata in a wide variety of formats for viewable and
machine-readable formats including HTML, Microsoft Excel, OWL/RDF, XMI,
CWM, Hibernate OR-mapping, SQL, FreeMind and MindManager
- Created and defined trust-building processes needed for
enterprise-wide adoption of metadata registry. Familiar with
data stewardship and adoption of metadata registries by
- Developed systems with data warehouse structures using dimensional
analysis, star schemas and the publishing of cubes to non-technical
- Created Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) standards for
Minnesota Department of Public Safety, CriMNet division.
- Taught management-level classes on Enterprise Message Bus (ESB)
including reliable and secure messaging concepts. Include extensive
analysis of ROI of PKI infrastructure for encryption, authentication and
- Taught programmers, project managers and business analysts concepts of
Enterprise Service Bus using Java Messaging Service (JMS).
- Taught extensive classes on XML, XML Schema, and XML transforms
internally and externally.
- Taught departmental-wide classes on Altova products including
- Used Altova SemanticWorksTM and Stanford's Medical
Informatics Prot�g� ontology development tools to validate and
refine OWL datasets extracted from metadata registry.
- Performed evaluation of Cognos
Framework ManagerTM and integration with Cognos
ReportNetTM and Cognos
- Created web-interfaces to OLAP structures using Cognos
- Built reusable XSLT 2.0
transform library for managing metadata structures.
- Used SAXON 8 libraries for implementing parameterized XSLT
- Created Apache Ant build scripts for managing metadata publishing
on public internet and private intranet web sites..
- Taught classes on using Apache Ant for managing metadata
publishing tasks both on public internet and private intranet web
- Created cubes from relational database structures using Microsoft
- Created library of Oracle metadata extraction tools using SQL
- Familiar with many standard ER data modeling tools such as
- Created and taught data modeling and object modeling classes for
over 20 years.
- Author of over 200 wikibook articles on XForms, Ant, XQuery and XSLT.
October 2015 to April 2017 Principal Consultant
Assist MarkLogic customers with the
design and construction of database applications in the healthcare
and publishing industries. Focus on the creation of Operational
Data Hubs that lower cost by placing transactions, search and
analytics in a single location. Includes data ingestion, transformation to
canonical forms, REST service development, unit testing and reporting.
Kelly-McCreary & Associates -
October 2001 to Present Technology
Strategy and Consulting
Independent contractor specializing in assisting
organizations leverage advanced software development technologies
including metadata management, metadata publishing, data warehousing,
data mining and semantic web technologies. Recent projects have
leveraged strong enterprise-level project experience, and knowledge of
advanced software development topics. Focus on enterprise metadata
management, and model driven software development architectures. I have
also provided extensive training and mentoring on Model Driven
My most recent project was to build an enterprise
data model in the form of a ontology for the Minnesota Department of
Education that is consistent with ISO/IEC 11179 metadata registry
standards. This project includes object-oriented analysis and design,
XML Schema development, XSLT transform development, creation of Apache
Ant build procedures and deployment of data dictionaries in HTML, XML,
XML Schema, RDF/OWL and use of Altova's XMLSpy Enterprise,
MapForce(TM), SemanticWorks(TM), Eclipse 3.1.
This project focused on creating semantically precise data definitions
for over 400 data elements.
From May of 2002 to February of 2005 I was involved
on one of the most ambitious efforts to integrate computer systems in
the state of Minnesota. The CriMNet project objectives were to provide
statewide standards and systems for securely exchanging data between
over 1,100 computer systems. My role in this project included the use of
EAI, JMS, XML, XML Schemas, XSLT, SVG, XPath, GJXDM (a large Data
Dictionary), ISO-11179, Web Services, JBoss, UML Modeling, Apache Ant,
XDoclet, Model-Driven-Design, MDA, MDD, Eclipse 3.0, PKI, SOAP Headers,
WS-Security, Web Service Encryption and Digital Signatures. I also spent
considerable time developing training materials for both programmers and
managers in many of these areas.
I have also developed extensive training materials
for XML, XML Schema, XMLSpy, Apache Ant and other metadata management
NetSource America - April 2001-October 2001
Director of Marketing
Director of Marketing for new startup
involved in network design and management services. Created
industry positioning, designed and developed service offerings,
designed marketing materials, managed web site and created
proposals for new business. Created plans for XML Web service
Dan McCreary and Associates - Oct. 2000-April 2001
Independent consultant specializing in
e-Business strategy development. Created technology
strategies for small to medium customers in the health care
and telecommunications industries.
LarsonAllen - Jan. 1999-Oct. 2000
Created a Web-centric strategic
technology plan for $70 million accounting firm.
Directed strategic technology projects. Investigated
opportunities for creation of new services around an
Application Service Provider (ASP) business model for
the healthcare industry. Served as principal e-Business
consultant for LarsonAllen customers. Created e-business
strategies for LarsonAllen customers.
Integrity Solutions/KeyTech -
June 1992-Jan. 1999
Founder, President, Owner
Created new software services
company focusing on advanced multi-tier object
oriented application development technologies. Built
company from startup to over $6.3 million in sales
revenue. Transformed company into one of the
Midwest's leading Internet and Web application
development organizations. Ranked as the 37th
fastest growing company in Minnesota by City
Boss Logic, Inc. - January 1990-June 1992
Manager, Custom Software
Development, Account Manager, Systems
Created new business unit
to manage professional services for Sybase
document management company. Built business unit
from startup to over $3 million in annual sales.
Developed relationship with vendors, partners and
managed a national customer base.
NeXT Computer, Inc. -
October 1988-January 1990
Systems Engineer, Technology
Sales, Technology Training, Technology
Served as one of NeXT's
first field system engineers. Worked with Steve
Jobs to create sales and training materials for
NeXT. Developed an extensive training and
classroom materials for teaching business benefits
of object-oriented technologies.
ETA Systems - 1985-1988
Software Manager, Technical Team
Lead, Software Engineer
Managed 14 people
involved in developing technology to support
supercomputer operating system development.
Managed budget of $3.1 million in native UNIX
operating system development for ETA
AT&T Bell Labs -
Member of Technical Staff
applications to manage the design of VLSI CMOS
integrated circuits. Software tools included high
level design, simulation, layout, design checks,
compaction and verification. Led the transition
from FORTRAN/VMS software system to C/UNIX